Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Primary Role for the New Season

New Year for the world. One thing I try to do now is to reevaluate my role and my goals for the upcoming year. Near at hand is the fact that I will be feeding all of my bees frequently over the coming seasons. My hive in the city has by far the most stored food. The hives on two different farms are woefully short supplied. I am thinking that I should consider not only feeding the bees with the usual sugar syrup but also adding something that contains vitamins and minerals, as they will not be eating honey much over the winter. Cane sugar syrup is pure carbohydrate and will be completely utilized by the bees for energy . This is easier on their digestive systems because there is no waste to be stored in their digestive tracts. That means a reduction in gut waste and bacteria and the diseases to which that exposes the bees. The question is will the length of time only eating sugar syrup substantially weaken bees who must survive and work to rebuild their colony for the Spring and how can I balance the exposure to waste derived illness from added nutrients stored in the bees digestive systems with the sugar syrup diet. I must pursue answers to these questions- that is my primary role as a beekeeper for this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment